On 16 April 2018, India signed a loan agreement with the World Bank with 48 million USD IBRD loan for the Meghalaya Community-Led Landscape Management Project. On behalf of the Government of India, the loan agreement was signed by Joint Secretary (MI), Department of Economic Affairs, Shri Sameer Kumar Khare with Mr Hisham A Abdo Kahin, Acting Country Director, World Bank (India). Shri P. Sampat Kumar, Commissioner and Chief Executive Officer of the Commissioner of Meghalaya, Meghal Basin Development Authority (MBDA) and Mr Hisham A Abdo Kahin, Acting Country Director, World Bank (India) signed a project agreement too.
The purpose of this project is to strengthen the management of community-led landscapes in select lands in the state of Meghalaya. Three components of the project are-
1) Knowledge and capacity building for natural resource management.
2) Community driven land planning and implementation and
3) Project management and administration.
The natural resources of Meghalaya such as land water resources and forests are the source of livelihood for most of the state and a majority of Meghalaya's population rely on them. This project will be helpful in the management of these resources by strengthening the community and traditional institutions. By reducing degraded and highly degraded landscapes under this project, the availability of water for local communities will increase and soil productivity will improve, which will lead to increase in income and reduce poverty. A better livelihood and opportunities will become available for the residents of Meghalaya. The closing date for the project is 30 June 2023.
- Click For More Current Affairs: https://safalta.com/current-affairs/
- Prime Minister Modi to Leave For His 5-Day Visit to Sweden and UK
- Biannual Army Commanders' Conference To Be Commenced Today in New Delhi
- CWG 2018 Concluded: India Ended Up at Third Place With its Second Best Record
- 65th National Film Awards Announced, Dadasaheb Phalke Award Conferred to Vinod Khanna Posthumously
- PM Modi to Launch Health and Wellness Center in Bijapur Under Ayushman Bharat Project
- PM Modi to Inaugurate Dr Ambedkar National Memorial in New Delhi Today