United Nation Environment has shortlisted the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB), and its officer RS Sarath for Asia Environment Enforcement Awards, 2018. They were shortlisted for the award under the organization and individual categories respectively for their contributions in combating transboundary environmental crimes in India. UNEP with UN Development Programme (UNDP), UN Office On Drug And Crime, INTERPOL, USAID, Freeland Foundation, and the government of Sweden will give the award.
- The Asia Environment Enforcement Awards publicly recognize and celebrate excellence in enforcement by government officials and institutions/teams combating transboundary environmental crime in Asia.
- This award is given to individuals, government organizations, and teams which demonstrate excellence and leadership in the enforcement of national laws to combat transboundary environmental crime in one of the following eligibility criteria areas: collaboration; impact; innovation; integrity and gender leadership.
- WCCB has been conferred this award for under the Innovation category. It adopted some innovative enforcement techniques which have dramatically decreased transboundary environmental crimes in India.
- Established by amending Wildlife (Protection) Act (WLPA), 1972 in June 2007, the Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) is a statutory body which works under the Union Ministry of Environment, Forests and Climate Change (MoEFCC) for combating the organized wildlife crimes in the country.
- Under Section 38 (Z) of WLPA, 1972, the organization is mandated to collect and collate information related to organized wildlife crimes and distribute the gathered information to state and other law enforcement agencies for the prompt action.
- The organization is also responsible for enabling the wildlife enforcement agencies for the scientific and professional investigation into wildlife crimes. It also helps the state to ensure success in prosecutions.
- Besides relevant policy and laws, It also advises the government on the issues related to wildlife crimes of national or international importance.
- Location: India
- Two Important Days: International Day of Forests and World Water Day
- पत्रकार जमाल खशोगी बने ‘टाइम पर्सन ऑफ़ द इयर 2018’
- India Selects Russian IGLA-S System for Man-Portable Air Defense Systems
- इंडोनेशिया:समुद्र में क्रैश हुआ विमान,पायलट समेत 189 लोगों की मौत
- After India, Pakistan has Announced to send Astronauts into Space by 2022