The United Nations joined its global partners and people living all over the world to observe the World Soil Day, an event that is organized every year on 05th of December by Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) to propagate the importance of soil quality for the food security, and healthy eco-systems. The theme for 2018 World Soil Day was ‘Be the Solution to Soil Pollution.’
- The observance of the day aims at raising the importance of soil among people and encouraging them for the prevention of soil pollution.
- The soil is the outermost layer of the earth which contains organic matter, minerals, gases, liquids, and organisms.
- This topmost layer of the earth ensures the growth of plants, storage, supply and purification of water and modification of the earth's atmosphere. It also shelters organisms, all of which, in turn, modify the soil.
- It is one of the limited natural resources without which the life on earth could not be imagined.
- According to a report prepared by FAO, around 95 percent of food comes from the soil which holds carbon three times higher than the atmosphere. The report also says that around 33 percent of global soils are already degraded.
- In 2002, the International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS) adopted a resolution to celebrate 5th of December as the World Soil Day.
- In June 2013, the official adoption and celebration of the World Soil Day were endorsed at 68th UN General Assembly by the Food and Agriculture Organisation (FAO). Click Here To Know More About The World Soil Day
- Location: India
- NITI Aayog Organises The Third Edition Of The Women Transforming India Awards
- नीति आयोग ने उन्नत महिला उद्यमिता प्लेटफॉर्म का शुभारंभ किया
- फिलीपींस की कैटरिओना ग्रे बनीं मिस यूनीवर्स 2018
- बेल्जियम ने पहली बार जीता हॉकी विश्व कप
- ऊर्जा मंत्रालय ने इको निवास संहिता 2018 लांच की