According to the IBPS calendar, the IBPS PO Prelims have already started from 13th, 14th October and will continue till 20th and 21st October 2018. However, the Mains are scheduled for 18th November 2018. With ample time in hand to strategise your preparation, here are few guidelines to start preparing now.
A. General Strategy
Take a look at the prelims and mains exam scheme. There is almost 100% overlap of the topics for both prelim and mains. The only difference is that for the Mains, candidates have to additionally prepare for General/Banking Awareness and Computer Knowledge.
Detailed overview of Mains Exam Breakdown
|Sr. No.||Subject||No. of Questions||Max. Marks||Duration|
|1.||Reasoning & Computer Aptitude||45||60||60 minutes|
|2.||English Language||35||40||40 minutes|
|3.||Data Analysis & Interpretation||35||60||45 minutes|
|4.||General Economy & Banking Awareness||40||40||35 minutes|
|5.||English Language (Letter Writing & Essay)||02||25||30 minutes|
Key points to remember:
- In order to stay in the strategic line, candidates need to remember these important key points:-
- IBPS has introduced a time limit for each section in Mains exam.
- There is a negative marking of 0.25 times as per the marks allotted to the answer for every wrong answer.
- Both prelim and mains will have sectional and overall cut-off.
- The weightage (ratio) of CWE Main exam and interview for final merit list will be 80:20 respectively.
- Both accuracy and speed is important for qualifying in the exam.
- Do not ignore any of the sections as this may lead to disqualification due to a low sectional score.
B. Subjects Preparation Guide
I. Quantitative Aptitude/Data Analysis and Interpretation
1. Quant Topics: Simplification, Profit & Loss, Mixtures and Alligations, Simple Interest & Compound Interest, Surds & Indices, Work & Time, Time & Distance, Mensuration – Cylinder, Cone, Sphere, Ratio & Proportion, Sequence & Series, Permutation, Combination & Probability.
2. Data Interpretation: Pie Charts/Bar Graph/Histogram Interpretation, Percentages, Averages etc.
- Prepare sheets for topic-wise formulae and learn them by heart
- Learning tables up to 20, fraction to percentage conversions and square roots/cube roots up to 30
- Learn the shortcuts and tricks for faster calculation
- Start with the topics you feel confident about. Similarly, attempt the questions you feel confident, first.
- Practice regularly
II. English Ability
Reading Comprehension, Cloze Test, Para-jumbles, Error Spotting, Fill in the Blanks, Vocabulary – Homonyms, Synonyms, Antonyms, Grammar.
Reading editorials daily from the Hindu/Business Standard is of great help.
For enhancing your vocabulary, Word Power Made Easy is of great help.
For revising concepts in Grammar, use the book Wren and Martin.
Verbal Reasoning, Syllogism, Seating Arrangement - Circular /Linear etc., Double Lineup, Scheduling, Input Output, Blood Relations, Directions and Distances, Ordering and Ranking, Data Sufficiency, Coding and Decoding
For Reasoning Section, practice topic-wise.
Focus on practicing the topics that are time consuming.
Learn simple techniques for arranging variables in puzzles, plotting on paper, flow charts and diagrams that are useful while solving the puzzles.
IV. General/Banking Awareness
Prepare for a 3–6 month window for the current affairs. News from Banking/Insurance and Finance sector is of great important. Reading one newspaper daily (eg: The Hindu/The Indian Express) will help cover the Budget and Economic Survey, census, focus on the key demographics, etc.
Banking terminology abbreviations are also very important.
If you prefer an online source for GK/GA, make consistent and methodical micro-notes of the important facts and revise them in the week before the exam.
V. Computer Knowledge
Internet, Memory, Keyboard Shortcuts, Computer Abbreviation, Microsoft Office, Computer Hardware, Computer Software, Operating System, Networking, Computer Fundamentals /Terminologies are some of the themes from where questions can appear.
Only go over the fundamental concepts, examples, abbreviations and only the basics that are being tested with a technical view.
1. Purchase any/all test series from below:-
2. Aim at improving the calculation speed with complete accuracy.
3. Learn the multiplication tables till 20*20
4. By heart squares and cubes till 30 and shortcuts
5. Learn fractions till percentage till 1/30
6. Consult the different banking websites such as:-
Bankersadda ( ADDA247 APP)
All the best!
- Location: India
- South Indian Bank Recruitment 2019: Apply For 160 Probationary Officers (PO) Posts
- South Indian Bank Recruitment 2019: Apply For 385 Probationary Clerk Posts
- IBA Recruitment 2019: Apply Online for 06 Manager Posts
- IBPS RRB CWE VIII Recruitment 2019 Application Window Open for Officers Scale & Office Assistants Posts
- NHB Assistant Manager Interview 2019 e-Call Letter Released, Download Now