Civil Services Mains exam is less than 3 months away now, and most of the students make the common mistake of not giving too much attention to ethics paper, while covering other general GS subjects like history, geography, etc. So most importantly, one must do balanced practice, and make sure that nothing is left unstudied as every subject is equally important and equally emphasized in Civil Services Exam. The study material and strategies for other GS papers are still available in the market, but there is one of the very important subjects, whose strategy and right study material is yet very difficult to find. Therefore, this article is all about handling the answer writing the part for ethics paper in GS paper 4, as ethics paper is all about how you present your opinions, thoughts in your words.
So first of all, you must understand the pattern – GS paper 4 consists of total 250 marks, which is divided into 2 sections (Section A and Section B). Section A covers the theory part and the questions based on Ethics, integrity and aptitude and the section B covers the entire Case study part, where you will be given a situation in a case study form, and you will be asked question or the solutions to the problems or challenges mentioned in the situation or the case study.
Every paper in Civil Services Exam is decided very thoughtfully. Each paper tests the candidate’s knowledge, personality, perspective and most importantly his suitability for the administrative services. Similarly, ethics paper has been also added in the list very purposefully after a rigorous thought process. The GS paper 4 in Civil Services Mains exam intends to test the attitude and approach of the candidate towards the issues related to various conflicts faced by the society and what actions according to the candidate can be taken to resolve those conflicts and issues.
IMPORTANT POINTS TO NOTE
- Most importantly, make sure you do not look biased in your answer. A rationality and impartiality must be maintained. There is code of conduct set for civil servants, ant it must be seen in your answer that you adhere to it.
- Understand what the paper actually intends to test in you. The paper with question and case studies aims to test your ethicality as a leader and administrator, instead of your personal morality. So your answer must reflect the ethicality in your personality.
- While reading questions and answering them, you must keep an administrator’s perspective rather than a common man. You first need to understand how your actions or the implementation of your suggestions would affect the image of the country or the institution you serve and represent.
- You will also be asked few questions about rationalism, migrants, women, and people from weaker sections to test your attitude towards it.
HOW TO PREPARE FOR ETHICS PAPER (GS PAPER 4)
Begin your preparation with getting conceptual clarity in topics given in the syllabus
Then understand the demand of the paper and see the code of conducts that you need to adhere as a civil services officer and as a civil services aspirant
- Enroll for Mains Test Series and solve ethics-based questions. You will also get answer evaluation from the experts in the academy, which will help you form better answers in the final quest
- Solve decision-making question section given in previous year and the current year Prelims CSAT paper
- Practice solving case study as much as possible
- Read Citizen’s charter, RTI and probity in governance reports
- Read ethics in governance reports
- Practice writing
- Very importantly, Stick to a single book and read it until you get the clarity rather making a library
ANSWER WRITING TIPS FOR ETHICS PAPER BY IRS OFFICER, PRACHI ALIWADHI, (AIR 290, CSE 2016)
- Keep the answers simple.
- Use keywords- ‘ethical competence', integrity etc.
- Understand the meanings of every term in the syllabus first and then be able to express the same in a few words
- Use real-life examples of great personalities, such as Satish Dhawan was the chairman of ISRO during the first launch of SLV, when the mission of launching a satellite in the orbit failed, where Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam, (being the director of Satellite Launch Vehicle) was working. But the later mission was prepared and launched successfully - So this is the example of Leadership, trust, and Teamwork. Then later other missions were successful- the example for LEADERSHIP and TEAMWORK. Another example of a Rajput Prince who was conspired to be killed. Panna who worked in the court learnt the conspiracy. In order to save the Prince, she replaced the Prince with her own kid. Her own kid got killed. (This anecdote is the best example for LOYALTY),
- Connect your life with terms in syllabus, recollect specific incidents and use them in your answers.
- Try to use anecdotes about great souls in your answers (only if you know any).
- Location: India
- Quick Revision Guide for IAS Mains Exam By AK Mishra Sir
- Geography Study Material for Exam: Weathering and Its Major Types
- Science vs. Commerce- Which Career Stream is Better
- TNDTE Diploma October Exam Result 2017 Declared At tndte.gov.in
- IAS prelims का एग्जाम पैटर्न